Numerous organizations have embarked on the establishment of Software Measurement Programs as a means to make informed management decisions on how to improve quality and productivity. These organizations have met with varying degrees of success. Those that have enjoyed the greatest success have followed many of the practices OBERON promotes in our consulting services for Measurement Program Implementation. Establishing a successful software measurement program requires the support of experienced professionals. Our expert consultation can help your organization implement or enhance a measurement program tailored to your needs.
OBERON's consulting service for Measurement Program Implementation is designed to help you identify and collect pertinent quality and productivity data from your Applications Portfolio and Software Projects that will lead to the identification of Improvement Initiatives.
Once this management framework is in place your organization will have the ability to implement programs to help you:
- Identify continuous process improvements
- Estimate development, enhancement and maintenance resources
- Plan and manage development projects
- Improve maintenance of the software assets
- Improve communications between software professionals, customers and management
A successful implementation requires a clear definition of goals and objectives, senior management commitment and an effective plan. With these in place you will be able to identify meaningful metrics in order to design and implement an effective measurement system.
Our services focus on all of the components necessary to establish and successfully manage measurement in your organization. Depending on your unique requirements, we can help you:
- Educate and promote the uses and benefits of measurement to management and staff
- Define quality and productivity goals
- Establish key measures
- Define measurement reporting requirements
- Identify data collection requirements
- Define the variables for project evaluation
- Define criteria for measuring customer satisfaction
- Identify resource requirements and organizational relationships
- Establish an initial measurement baseline
- Design, advise and/or assist in the selection of measurement and estimation tools
- Let us help you successfully utilize measurement to increase productivity, improve quality and reduce cost
- Software Development and Support Bench marking
Improving software quality and productivity begins with the establishment of a measurement baseline. The baseline is then compared to industry benchmarks to quantify quality and productivity and identify improvement opportunities. As opportunities are implemented, the baseline allows you to measure the change and quantify the impact. The expertise of OBERON Management Group can help you achieve numerous benefits from this management tool.
The bench marking methodology utilizes proven techniques to statistically measure the output and quality of the software development process. The techniques used include function point analysis, best in practice analysis, financial analysis, defect measurement and user satisfaction surveys.
The resulting baseline and benchmark comparison will provide your organization with:
- Productivity rates for development, enhancement, and maintenance projects
- Quality ratings for projects and applications
- User satisfaction ratings
- Cost per output for development and support
- Benchmark comparisons for quality, productivity, cost and processes
- Identified improvement opportunities
- OBERON`s benchmarking approach focuses on Projects, Application Assets and Process Improvement Initiatives.
A major activity in the benchmarking process is the data collection and analysis of completed development projects. This data will quantify development quality and productivity and identify opportunities to improve the development environment. In-process development projects can also be included in order to assist in project planning, estimating and change of scope management.
Our benchmarking process also focuses on existing applications. Application size, support costs and maintenance variables are collected and analyzed. The resulting information provides a basis for an applications maintenance strategy, identification of maintenance improvement opportunities and valuation of software assets.
Process Improvement Initiatives
A major deliverable of the benchmarking process is the identification of Continuous Process Improvement opportunities. On the basis of project and application measures, we will compare your organization's use of tools and processes to the best in practice and identify opportunities that will significantly improve productivity, quality and reduce costs. Optionally, we can assist you in the planning and implementation of specific improvement opportunities.
Our benchmarking service results in a comprehensive measurement baseline that will allow you to achieve your quality and productivity goals. Depending on your unique requirements, we can help you:
- Establish an ongoing measurement process
- Evaluate software cost and value
- Evaluate customer and management satisfaction
- Quantify quality and productivity levels
- Identify improvement opportunities
- Conduct opportunity cost/benefit analysis
- Assist in strategic and operational improvement planning
- Provide implementation support
- Assist in quality and productivity goal setting